Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance for people with epilepsy

These pages are about Disability Living Allowance in the UK. If you are looking for information about benefits in another country, please contact your local epilepsy organisation.

In this section

•    New claims for Disability Living Allowance
•    Existing claims for Disability Living Allowance
•    Attendance Allowance
•    Organisations that offer benefits advice

New claims for Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Children under 16
Children under 16 can still make a new claim for DLA. You may be able to get DLA for your child if they have difficulties walking or they need more looking after than a child of the same age who doesn’t have a disability.
If you would like help with making a clai, contact cerebra. Cerebra is a charity for children with neurological problems. They have a free guide which takes you through each stage of applying for DLA for children under 16, with brain-related conditions.

Tel: 0800 328 1159
Website: cerebra.org.u

People between 16 and 64
People between 16 and 64 can no longer make a new claim for DLA. You will need to claim Personal Independence Payment (PIP) instead.

Epilepsy Action has more information on Personal Independence Payments

People over 64
You can make a new claim for Attendance Allowance.

Existing claims for Disability Living Allowance

People between 16 and 64
DLA is gradually being replaced by PIP. To find out when claims in your area will be affected, go to the online PIP checker.
Website: gov.uk/pip-checker

If you need to make any changes to your claim, or if your DLA is due to end, you will be invited to claim PIP instead.

Attendance Allowance

You may be able to claim Attendance Allowance if:
•    You are 65 or over and
•    You have a physical or mental disability and
•    Your disability is severe enough for you to need help caring for yourself or someone to supervise you. This could be for your own or someone else’s safety

For more information on Attendance Allowance see the government website.
Website: gov.uk/attendance-allowance

Organisations that offer benefits advice

Citizens Advice
Citizens Advice gives free, confidential, impartial and independent advice about your rights, including benefits. They can also help you fill out claim forms for benefits.
Tel: 08444 111 444 (for advice by telephone)
Website: adviceguide.org.uk

For information and advice on benefits and grants
Tel: 0808 802 2000
Website: turn2us.org.uk

Cerebra have a free guide which takes you through each stage of applying for Disability Living Allowance for children.
Tel: 0800 328 1159
Website: cerebra.org.uk

Contact a Family
Offers benefits advice for people with a disabled child
Tel: 0808 808 3555
Website: cafamily.org.uk

Disability Information and Advice Line services, run by and for disabled people. They may be able to refer you to someone who can help you fill out claim forms for benefits (provided there is someone in your area).
Freephone: 0808 800 3333 (to find your local group)
Website: scope.org.uk

This website has lots of information about all the different benefits that are available.
Website: gov.uk/browse/benefits

Disability Rights UK
This website has a number of free factsheets you can download.  It offers basic information about benefits, tax credits, social care and other disability- related issues for claimants and advisers.
Website: disabilityrightsuk.org



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *